Friday, September 23, 2011

Cooking Adventure by Tara

I am in LOVE with the days of Fall (my favorite season) fast approaching and cool weather headed our way! I'm sad to see summer go, but I can't wait for "hoodie weather," soups and stews, crunchy leaves, warm apple pies, pumpkin seeds, and delicious, bonfire-ish smelling air blowing through the open windows. Last week, we took our Kindergarteners to Blackberry Farms in NaperTHRILL for some apple picking and Pioneer Education. I came back craving some apple butter, a day mapped out on my schedule for apple-picking, and wanting to weave a carpet, lol. Instead, I decided I would try my hand at making my own applesauce. It was definitely a lot easier than I had anticipated. The hardest part is prep work, which I am not gonna lie, Tony helped me do, since apparently, I am "untrustworthy" with a knife (he's always worried I am going to drop them on my feet. A knife is not scissors, Tony! Geesh!) ......and when I say he helped me.....I mean he basically did it all himself, lol.

Soooo, I bought around 20 apples from the store, peeled, sliced (thanks Boo!), and threw them into a pan with a little water. After cooking long enough to get mushy, Tony zapped them through the food processor (apparently, I can't use that either. He says the spinning blades are too sharp, :/). Then I added just a smidgen of sugar and cinnamon......And whaaalllllaaaaa. The most delicious HOMEMADE applesauce I have ever had!

And the best part....it is ZERO points plus. YEP YEP YEP.
Say HELLO to one of my breakfast staple ingredients for the next week! :)

Mmmmmmm.........

Oh and I should also mention I dehydrated a whole bunch! :)

No comments: