Time went on. I grew up. And though we were ALL grateful that he never came around again, it still ached my heart to know that my own blood, my Father and Grandmother, didn't want me. But now I realize, maybe it was just God's plan all along. He knew that Derrill was a bad egg. He knew that he would cause us all pain. And He knew that our lives would be better without him. What I didn't know, was that He also knew that Dan, was the Father we deserved and were meant to have. So 20 years latter, I would like to write a letter to my Father, my real Father, the one that has always been there for me.
Dear Dan,
I don’t know how you managed to not ship me off to boarding school during my teen years. Remarrying is one thing. Remarrying a woman with two girls should have earned you a medal of honor. I wasn’t a horrible kid, but I didn’t make your life easy. Who can forget the constant eye-rolling, the times I flat-out ignored you, and those moments I pretended I didn't hear anything you said.
Sorry about that......Really, really sorry.
I want to thank you. I don’t think I ever thanked you. Thank you for showing me how men should treat women. Thanks for asking questions and not just assuming. Thank you for supporting me and showing an interest in what I had an interest in, even when I knew you really weren’t interested in it. And thank you for loving me when I was mean and cold and rude and hated you.
There is so much more that I want to say, but it all comes down down to one thing.
Thank you, and I love you.
If I could say one phrase to you for the rest of my life, it would be that. You have inspired me in ways you can’t even imagine and I don’t give you nearly enough praise for that. I also don’t tell you how much I love you for all of the things you’ve done for me in the past 20 years. You made our lives better the day you said "I do" to my Mother.
I hope that our relationship continues to grow and get better as the years go on, because I can't imagine my life without you.
Have a wonderful Father's Day.
With love,
Your daughter forever, Tara



No comments:
Post a Comment